This is a list of videos, articles, books and websites that we have found useful, helpful and inspiring. This is just a start and we plan to continue to add to it. Please let us know if you come across anything that you think we might like!
- Sing along with Will.i.am and the gang from Sesame Street – lovely song about self-acceptance
- Dance along with Elmo and friends – a song to help you get up and moving!
- Some yoga exercises for kids
For Teens (16+)
- A powerful video about bullying and self-acceptance
- A fun video on body insecurities and self-acceptance by beauty blogger Bubzbeauty
- A girl-driven media activism site
- A great site made for young women and by young women. Covers a little bit of everything in a fun, accessible way
- What it’s like not to love your body – stay til the end of this video to see how we can all make small changes to feel better about our bodies
- A nice, short piece on raising healthy kids
- Interesting piece about how parents can unintentionally pass on negative body image
- A brilliant resource for primary school teachers: ‘Body image in the primary school’ by Nicky Hutchinson and Chris Calland (available on several online book shops)
- Great media literacy activities to try in school
- Dove Self-Esteem project: Teaching resources
Body image activism – let’s make things better!
- A great site about challenging and changing our culture. Full of great resources and inspiration
- A brilliant site about taking back beauty – full of well-researched pieces about body image, media literacy and health
- A global campaign that challenges the culture of body hatred
- Early body dissatisfaction puts kids at risk of eating disorders
- As girls get older, their body satisfaction decreases
Other stuff we like!!
- A New BMI stands for Body Mind Intelligence and it represents a refreshing approach to health and wellness that focuses on the relationship between the mind and body rather than height and weight. Great website by Peggy Stella.
- A great piece about the importance of appreciating the body’s function over it’s appearance
- Tips for feeling better on a bad body image day
- Interesting read about the motives behind the diet industry
- Video about yoga for kids
- We’re the superhumans – great video celebrating some remarkable paralympic athletes